Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Dinner of the week: Pan Seared Ham Steaks

My love affair with Ham continues...
Pan Seared Ham Steaks with Pineapple Rings and Sweet Potatoes
A while ago I confessed my love for Ham and my sheer joy at discovering that my kids liked it too (see post here: Grilled Ham Steaks).  The short version of that story was that I never used to make ham because my husband is not a fan.  However, now that I know how much my kids like it, I'm looking for different ways to serve ham (other than on a Hawaiian pizza!).
Last night was a busy and muggy evening, not one I particularly wanted to spend outside over a grill.   So I did a quick review on different ways to prepare ham and settled on Pan Searing it.  Pan Searing is as easy and straight-forward as it sounds: you butter/oil a pan and lay the ham in the pan, flipping it after a few minutes to be sure to evenly cook it through.  I decided to add Pineapple to the pan to add flavor to both the ham and the pineapple.
While the ham was searing, I prepared the Sweet potatoes. 
 I cubed up 4 sweet potatoes, and coated them in a mixture of olive oil (2 Tbsps), Cinnamon (1 Tbsp), a few tablespoons of Honey, and a dash of salt.  
I then spread those out on a pan lined with aluminum foil and roasted them at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.  I steamed up a few handfuls of green beans and was pretty proud of the colorful (and delicious) meal I had ready to serve within 40 minutes. 
**Sidenote:  I'd' never made Sweet Potatoes this way, but I will definitely be making them again!  They were like candy and paired really nicely with the pineapple.

Here's a peek at what's on our week's meal plan:
Monday:  Chicken Feta Spinach brats with Fettuccine 
Tuesday:  Ham Steaks with Pineapple rings, and Sweet Potatoes
Wednesday:  Chicken Cordon Bleu and roasted broccoli
Thursday:  Spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and honeydew melon cubes
Friday:  Burgers and Chips

No comments:

Post a Comment