Monday, August 27, 2018

Dinner of the Week: Crescent Roll Ring Sandwich

On the first day back to school, I make a kid-favorite dinner.  Something they love that I can easily assemble while I listen to them chatter on and on all about their day.  


Today was the first day back to school for the kids.  I blinked and the summer skipped right past us.  There are many summers where I have been completely ready to send the kids back to school, but this year was NOT one of those summers.  There was too much left undone: too many campfires we didn't get to have, too many conversations floating in the pool that never happened, too few dripping ice cream cones that mom needed to "save."   I watched my kids get on the bus and told them they were ready...but inside I was yelling, "Don't go!  We still have too much summer yet to experience!"
All this to say that I wanted to be ready when they got home.  Ready to soak in every story, giggle at every funny detail, and hug them like crazy.  I didn't want to fuss over a big production of a dinner, I just wanted to get it prepped and on the table in a way that still allowed me to focus on all of them.
Tonight's dinner was one of their favorites.  It's another easy dinner that has variations all over Pinterest:  The Crescent Roll Ring Sandwich.
I usually settle into an after-school routine of making dinner while the kids do homework and chatter about their day.  But today my daughter just kind of stepped in and took over while I turned my back.  She loves to bake and it was nice to layer and roll together while she caught me up on all of her friend's summers.
First, open the crescent roll cans and  unroll the contents, breaking the rolls into squares rather than their perforated triangles.  Lay these in a circle, overlapping the corners.  Layer meat and cheese of your choice on top of the dough.  Next roll the dough up over itself so the meat and cheese are encased.
Once rolled up and pinched tight, we like to sprinkle a little dusting of herbs and spices.  This time we just grabbed Mrs. Dash's Chicken spice mix.  It adds a great layer of flavor.

All that's left is to pop this "ring" into the oven for 15-18 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.   While it's baking I prepped the salad and washed the grapes.  Once done, pull it out of the oven and let it set up for about 5 minutes.

This is a perfect "Comfort food" meal.  And it was just salty enough to get our taste buds craving the ice cream we dug into next.

Here is the rest of our week's menu:
Monday:   Crescent Roll ring sandwiches, garden salad, grapes
Tuesday:  Wet Burritos, tortilla chips and guacamole dip, clementine oranges
Wednesday:  Cheese tortellini pasta with marinara sauce, veggie platter, watermelon cubes
Thursday:   French dip sandwiches with onion soup, Blueberry and banana salad
Friday:  Oven roasted fajitas served on tortillas, cottage cheese, applesauce

No comments:

Post a Comment