Monday, April 23, 2018

Last Week's Menu...

I had originally planned on lighter, more spring-like meals for this week, but with all of the surprise snow we received, the only meals that sounded good were warm and hearty ones!

Monday:  Autumn Soup, Artisan Italian Bread Loaf, and Homemade Garlic Butter
This soup is easy!  I slice up and cook some Eckrich turkey sausage with a diced onion in a stew pot and then add in 64 oz. of veggie broth, 3 sliced carrots and 3 sliced celery ribs, 2 cubed russet potatoes, and bits of Kale.  I sprinkle garlic salt, pepper, Steak seasoning spice mix, and whatever else sounds good, and then simmer for about 20 minutes.  The Garlic butter is just a stick of butter softened at room temperature with garlic salt and oregano stirred in.
Tuesday:  Sausage in Jambalaya Rice Mix, Cottage Cheese, and a Clementine
I planned on a crock pot meal this day, but completely ran out of time to run home and start it up on my lunch break.  So I flipped the meal schedule...and ended up with Turkey sausage two days in a row.  Oops!  The kids didn't seem to care (or even notice the duplicate)!  Zatarans makes a great Jambalaya rice mix!  I slice up and cook the same Eckrick turkey sausage as yesterday's meal and add a can of whole kernel corn.  Usually I whip up a Jiffy Cornbread mix for some mini muffins, but I didn't have the mix on hand this week.  
Wednesday:  Asian Chicken Lettuce Wraps, Strawberries, and a Crescent Roll 
Not only did I have time to run home at lunch, but I also remembered to start up the crock pot today (I've been known to waste an entire pork loin roast by forgetting to turn the crock pot on!). This is another easy meal.  Just put 3 frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot with a drizzle of olive oil, a splash of lime juice, a 1/4 teaspoon of minced garlic on each chicken breast, and a healthy splash of soy sauce.  Cook on low for 4-5 hours then shred the chicken.  I usually cook a bag of BirdsEye steam-in-the-bag Asian veggie mix and stir that in with the chicken.  Sliced water chestnuts really add to this meal, so I toss those in and mix it all together.  This meal works best served on bib lettuce....but Romaine was what we had, so I improvised!  
Thursday:  Italian Seasoned Chicken Breast, Tri-Colored Mini Potatoes, and Macaroni and Cheese.
This meal came about through some serious negotiating with my kids.  I generally make this meal with either roasted broccoli or green beans, but the kids were begging for mac-and-cheese, and honestly, I can always use a little more mac-and-cheese in my life!  Prep the potatoes by washing and piercing each one with a fork.  Line the sides of a 9x13 pan with the potatoes and place 4 chicken breasts down the middle.  Cut up a 1/4 stick of butter into small cubes and sporadically place on top of the chicken and potatoes.  Sprinkle an envelope of Italian seasoning on top (we've also made our own spice blend or just used Ranch seasoning) and bake at 400 degrees for 45 minutes, or until the juices of the chicken run clear.  I didn't have enough time to make my favorite baked macaroni and cheese, so I just prepared a boxed mix and called it good.  We love our carbs!
Friday:  Oven-Baked Fajitas and a Banana
Another oven-baked dinner.  I know.  My kids made a comment about the similarities between dinners.  I'm not a pro, people. HA!  But it is another easy one!  Slice up 3 chicken breasts, one green pepper, and one red pepper into strips.  Place those into a 9x13 pan and add a sliced up yellow onion.  Pour one 14 oz can of diced tomatoes over the top and stir it all together.  Next I mix up 3 Tbsps. of extra virgin olive oil with garlic salt, cumin, oregano, and basil.  I drizzle that over the top and bake it at 425 for 30 minutes.  I usually serve this either on tortilla shells with sour cream and shredded cheese, or over rice...but we had limited time to eat so I skipped the extras.
Saturday:  Cheeseburger Pie, Salad, and a Strawberry-Watermelon Fruit Salad.
This one is a fun little kid favorite in our house.  The recipe is on the back of the Bisquick baking mix box (or just search it up on my Pinterest Page).   We've had fun in the past with garnishes: diced pickles, onions, and tomatoes.  The weather was starting to warm up, so I added a taste of summer with the strawberries and watermelon.

No comments:

Post a Comment