Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Dinner of the week: Mini Cheeseburger Pies

These bite-sized Cheeseburger Pies are perfectly pop-able for an easy weeknight meal.  Added bonus?  The kids love them and have a blast loading on their favorite toppings.
We do a lot of burgers and grilling throughout the Summer months.  We'd grill every night, but sometimes a rainy day makes indoor cooking a little more... desirable.  A quick glance at the back of a Bisquick box (or Pinterest) is all you need to get the basic recipe for the normal, pie-sized Cheeseburger Pie.   While we use that recipe as the base for the pie-sized version, we've resorted to tweaking it a little to make these little mini pies, and have found they bring out a few more smiles from my tribe.
The basic Impossibly Easy Cheeseburger Pie recipe really is as easy as they promise (Check it out here: Cheeseburger Pie Classic Recipe ):  You brown up a pound of ground beef (we always substitute ground turkey for our meat) with one diced yellow onion.  Spread the meat in a greased pie plate/pan and sprinkle one cup of cheddar cheese over top.  In a small bowl, add 1/2 cup Bisquick, 1 cup milk, and two eggs.  Whisk together and then pour over the meat and cheese mixture.  Bake for 25 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit.  This makes a fun, pie-sized, casserole-type main dish.  This recipe is pretty good, especially for days when I want to get dinner on the table ASAP.  Our Pie-sized version usually turns out like this:

But one day I took notice of how much fun my little preschooler was having eating everything with his fingers instead of his fork and spoon.  I had made mini corn bread muffins the evening before and was putting away the muffin tin when the idea struck me:  What if I made poppable Cheeseburger Pies?  The result was a hit in our whole house!
  The first change I make to the recipe is right at the very beginning.  I like to add half of a packet of dry Onion soup mix to the meat while it's cooking instead of the diced onion.  The soup mixture gives the meat a richer, deeper taste.  Then, instead of spreading the meat in a pie pan, I grease all 24 cups of a mini muffin pan and pour one to two tablespoons of the Bisquick/egg/milk mixture into each cup.  I add about a tablespoon of the meat and then a sprinkle of cheese.  I finish off each mini muffin cup with another tablespoon or two of the Bisquick mixture (I just keep adding the mixture until all muffin cups look even and the mixture is gone) and then I sprinkle a little more cheese on top.  Bake 15-25 minutes at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and then let them cool for about 5 minutes.
It can be tricky to get my littlest guy to eat, but we've found he is more likely to eat a meal if he can use his fingers.  We also have a lot of fun with the toppings.  Both of my sons love diced pickles and my husband loves jalapenos, shredded lettuce, and chopped up bacon.  The kids love ketchup and mustard, but my husband and I will also use Sriracha Ranch.
Enjoy!
Here's what we ate for the rest of the week:
Monday:   Steak, Grilled corn on the Cobb, watermelon chunks
Tuesday:  Jambalaya rice mix with smoked turkey sausage and corn, Mini cornbread muffins, and applesauce
Wednesday:  Mini Cheeseburger pies, cottage cheese, potato chips
Thursday:   Deluxe salads with grilled chicken, berry salad
Friday:  Breakfast for dinner!  Egg/cheese/ham/english muffin sandwiches, and fruit parfaits

No comments:

Post a Comment