Monday, June 4, 2018

Planning out Summer Childcare

Summer break is only 4 days away!  The temps are rising, the bedtimes are being pushed back little by little, and the ice cream treats are flowing like syrup at the local IHOP!  And if you're a working mom and you're anything like me, you're probably panicking a right now about summer childcare!  
Don't freak out!  Take a deep breath, grab a cup of coffee, and 
let's tackle this Summer Childcare monster together.
I have been insanely lucky when it comes to childcare.  We have over-eager grandparents itching to steal our kids away at a moment's notice and feed them a steady diet of donuts and ice cream.  And every time we return to pick up the kids, they each beg for 10 more minutes with Mor Mor and Bumpa (my eldest son would actually run the opposite way and cry "No, No, No!" to us when he was little and we had to pry him away from my parents.  It was definitely a hit to the self-esteem as a young mother!)
The first 6 years of motherhood I didn't work and didn't have to give a second thought about who would watch my kids.  When I did finally re-enter the workforce, it was only for a few days each week and those over-eager grandparents stepped up to the plate.  However, as my job title evolved and my hours increased, I realized that constantly relying on the grandparents was not in the best interest of my parent's sanity (or my kids nutrition!).  My mom wouldn't admit it, but I knew that the more she watched the kids, the more her time with them would grow stale and become a chore rather than a treat.  And I wanted my kids to cherish time with their grandparents rather than expect it, or worse, feel as though going to their grandparent's house was a form of daycare.
The first years of planning childcare was messy.  For far too long, I waited until the last minute to figure out what I was going to do with my kiddos during the summer months.  That is probably the biggest mistake I made, mostly because all of the reliable and fun babysitters were already snapped up (not everyone is a procrastinator like me and waits until the week before to plan out their summer!  Oops!).  
But slowly, I began to figure out a method of planning that has become my Summer Childcare Formula.  I'm no expert, but this has worked for me.  So grab a pen and paper  and a cup of coffee, and let's do this!
1.   Map out your schedule - both work and family:
I've found it's best for me to verify what I will need and then work out from that.  My husband works every day/all day, and cannot take time off unless absolutely necessary.  I usually try to get the whole summer mapped out and then ask him to fill in the holes in the schedule for times that I just can't take off work (he is our main breadwinner, after all.)  I work three and a half days each week right now.  It only takes me about 5 minutes to get to work, so I plan for someone to watch the kids roughly 8 and a 1/2 hours each (full) day (I allot at least 15 minutes of flex time between when my work hours begin and end.  This allows for wardrobe malfunctions, treating myself to a cup of coffee on the way to work, or that phone call that goes waaaaay too long after work).
2.   Figure out your budget
Childcare is pricey, and you don't want to do what I did for the first few summers and just "wing-it"!  I usually start by researching what the going pay rate is in my area for babysitters (ask other moms what they pay, check Care.com...). Next, I figure in any extra responsibilities:  babies vs. elementary-aged kids, one kid vs. three, food allergies, shuttling to day camps...  Crunch the numbers to find out what you can afford and then break it down each week, or even for each day if that's what your work schedule demands.
3.   Look into Summer camp options - both day camps and week-long camps
I did not utilize summer camps as much as I should have in the early years!  Not only are they great for kid's social, emotional, and physical growth, but they offer a chunk of time that you don't have to find childcare-or that you can give your childcare provider a break!  I usually start with the Community Ed or YMCA camps and then look to the Vacation Bible School camps.  *Another little hint:  Try to coordinate camps with your kid's friends so you can join in carpool duties!  
4.   Consider your friend and family options
As I mentioned, we are blessed to have wonderful grandparents and family who are more than willing to step up if we need help.  My parents are both retired and eager to watch the kids.  Again, I don't want to over-use them, but, by trial and error, we've learned that one to two days is the right balance of grandparent childcare time.  A second great option is checking with a friend (or sibling with kids) to see if you can "Trade" childcare time.  Not only does this give your children time with their friends/cousins, but it's FREE CHILDCARE!  *Disclaimer: Remember to think about what it would look/feel like to have extra cousins/friends in tow for the whole summer before you commit to multiple days of trading.  Will you want to spend your only free days off from work with other people's kids?  
After I nail down which days work best for my parents and friends/siblings to watch the kids, I check out local babysitters to see if they are available. Before you jump straight to Care.com (which is a wonderful tool!), take a minute to think of  high-school-age, responsible neighborhood kids that might be able to fill in the childcare holes.  In our case, we have a few nieces and nephews who make amazing babysitters!  They know our kid's personalities (and our family rules) and love to play!

5. Write it all out and finalize the schedule
Once I've researched and brainstormed, I print off a calendar for each month and begin to fill it in.  I start with the holidays and family vacations we have planned (I know this sounds silly, but you don't know how many times I've actually booked childcare for a week that we went on vacation...which made for a very expensive week!).  Next I write down the camps for which I've registered each kid.  I then write down the days I've confirmed with the grandparents.  Finally, I confirm with my nieces/other family.  If there are any holes at this point, I either ask for play date times with one of my kid's friends (always offering a day during which I would host their child) or take the day off myself.
That's it!  It takes a few hours of hammering things out, but after I get it all on paper (and then loaded onto our family Google calendar), I can breath a whole lot easier!
What other tricks and tips do you use to map out your summer childcare?

No comments:

Post a Comment