Friday, April 13, 2018

Family Swimwear 2018

This has been the Winter that NEVER ENDS in Michigan.  Here we are in mid-April, and it's still snowing.  We have a Winter Weather Advisory and threats of an ice storm tonight.  
Lovely, juuuuuust lovely.
Someone recently compared this current change of seasons to an upset teenager who keeps going into her room and then coming out, wagging her finger, saying, "And another thing!...".   Sounds about right to me!
All of this snow is making me want to protest Winter.  And so, in an effort to make my stand, I have pulled out our family swimwear.
At the end of each season, I browse the websites of my favorite stores in hopes of snagging a good deal to build my family's wardrobe base for the next year.  LandsEnd never disappoints when it comes to swimwear.  Their suits are very well-made and last forever.  Seriously, FOREVER!  I've had my navy polka-dot halter top tankini for over 7 years!   I only get rid of the kid's swimsuits when they no longer fit or are so faded that they look silly.
Last September, I sized up each family member to see who truly needed a new swimsuit.  My littlest guy is growing taller but not much bigger in the waist.  His size 3T LandsEnd swimsuit was still baggy enough on his little 4T body that I knew he would be all set for 2018.  My husband found his swimsuit at a T.J. Maxx store last year and refuses to wear anything else, so I knew (like it or not) he was all set too.  That left me with my somewhat picky tween children.
 My eldest son has rules about stripes (the width must be juuuust right, and not less than a 3 color scheme).  Strange?  Absolutely, but totally a quirk I love about him. After a few silent moments of studying the above picture online, he approved of the above multi-stripe suit.  Whew, one down, one to go.  The swimsuits available in my daughter's sizes were much more sparse.  She really wanted a suit with a skirted bottom, but ended up settling on the cute red and navy polka-dot suit  after I (shamefully) over-sold the cute ties on the hips.
For the first time in a long time, I couldn't find a swimsuit on clearance that I HAD to have.  Strengthened by my protest to the impending snowstorm and all things Winter, I made a trip to Marshall's and found this cute white, striped tankini by NipTuck.
And with that, my little clan is set for beach trips and pool parties this summer.  And yes, much to the dismay of my tween children, I do still try my hardest to coordinate our swimwear.  Hey, you never know when you'll snap that frame-worthy photo!
Where do you get your family's swimwear?

No comments:

Post a Comment