Friday, April 13, 2018

Balance

The older I get the more I learn that life is about balance.  Give a little, get a little.  It applies to everything.   My life is richer when I seek to perfect that balance in each aspect. 

Take Time, for example.  I’d like to say that my “selfish years” were primarily in my teens and early twenties, but I’m finding that in my thirties I can just as easily slip into a “me-time bender”.  I’m more of an introvert and “homebody”, so my dream would be to snuggle up with a good book and a thick blanket on the couch with no one else around.  If I’m adventurous, I’ll go for a three hour walk…or drive.  Alone, blissfully alone.  And if I am home with the rest of my family, the phrase, “oops, go ask daddy,” or “Hmmm…I think daddy could probably help you,” were constantly on my lips.  But the surprising truth is, when I focus only on pampering myself, I am actually miserable.  
So I then do a 180 degree turn and  combat  this with pouring all of my time into serving others.  Nursery duty, making meals, staying late at work to help a co-worker...  And then came my children.  Being a mother is a selfless job to begin with, but I can take it one step further, doing everything for everyone in my family.  Breakfast, lunches, after-school snacks, laundry, cleaning, ironing, setting out all their outfits (yes, even for my husband), birthday parties for friends… I was proud that I could be superwoman and take care of everyone.  Until one day, I wasn’t.  I was worn out and regularly snapped at everyone.   I was bitter and resentful.  I’d like to say that I figured it out in one day, but I didn’t.  It was probably more like 10 years.  
But Now?  Now, the first 30 minutes of every day is mine.  Totally uninterrupted, no kids or husband allowed, no social media or work crises…mine.  And I spend it being quiet.  I pray, I read my Bible, I make my lists of thing to be done that day.  But it’s mine.  Even my 4-year-old knows that he doesn’t talk to me until I’m out of my “Alone chair.”  It sounds selfish, and it kind of is.  But it works, because right after that, I’m pouring cereal, helping to pack lunches, pressing shirts, finding lost socks, tweaking work certificates, texting encouraging words to my stressed-out friend.   And when the busyness hits, I’m ready for it, because I’ve had my “me time.”  I’m happier, calmer and I live more joyfully when I focus a little on serving me and a little on serving others.  
How do you recharge yourself in order to keep your sanity?

No comments:

Post a Comment